Employment Services - Via Student Work Experience
Are you in high school & ready to learn more about work?
- Fall 2016
- Spring 2017
- Summer 2017
- Are you interested in a PAID internship at one of the area's top employers?
Did you answer YES to the questions above and are a student with a disability between the ages of 14 to 21? Then the Via Student Work Experience is the perfect opportunity to prepare you for competitive employment after high school - and you will get paid while you learn! The Via Student Work Experience is a FREE service, funded by the Office of Vocational Rehabilitation.
What Does the Via Student Work Experience Offer?
- Students are matched with one of the area's top employers for a nine-week PAID internship - five hours a day, two days a week.
- Via collaborates with school districts, ensuring the Via Student Work Experience is integrated as part of the student's school day and curriculum.
- Students also participate in Small Group Trainings at the worksite for an additional two hours per week.
- Professional Portfolios are developed, including a resume, references, certificates or credentials earned, etc. It's a detailed personal marketing tool for the job search!
- Via offers OVR Application Assistance for students to access benefits, as well as help with understanding and accessing funding sources for services like housing and other community supports.
- Students can receive continued support after graduation through Via's Community Employment Services.
How Will the Via Student Work Experience Benefit Me?
- Through paid internships, students gain work experience and make professional connections- while still in high school.
- Via helps students define goals for employment, education, community inclusion and more.
- Multiple networking opportunities provided - professional, educational and social.
- Developing work skills improves self esteem and helps earn the respect of others.
- Guidance is provided to help navigate a complex post-graduation support system.
Experience Work. Earn a Wage. Plan for the Future.
Via Student Work Experience focuses on the individual student, and is tailored to each participant's needs. Via uses evidence-based supported employment strategies and an array of educational supports including: counseling, skills teaching centered on job seeking and retention, problem solving, and methods to help students function in a work setting.
Community Employment staff work one on one with adults throughout the employment process including job development, job coaching and follow along supports. Via staff help adults increase their natural network of support, like family, neighbors and friends, to help ensure job stability.
It has been Via's experience that when people with disabilities find meaningful work with the accompanying benefits like income and social interaction, their overall life satisfaction improves. Their economic power increases and their self-image improve.
For more information or to apply, contact:
Cortney Lakis, Via Student Work Experience Manager
C.Lakis@ViaNet.org | 484-893-5392