Employment Services - Via Student Work Experience
Become a Host Employer
Want your company to be on the forefront of an innovative and enterprising opportunity?
- Fall 2016
- Spring 2017
- Summer 2017
Join Via's Work-Based Learning!
Via's work based learning provides opportunities for students to learn a variety of skills by expanding the walls of classroom learning to include the community.
By narrowing the gap between theory and practice, the Via Student Work Experience connects our youth to the world of work and future career opportunities.
What Does the Via Student Work Experience Offer?
- Students with a disability between the ages of 14 to 21 are matched with a nine-week internship for five hours a day, two days a week at your worksite.
- Students are employed by and paid by Via of the Lehigh Valley.
- Via provides a minimum wage stipend to the student at no cost to the host employer.
- Well-trained, experienced career coaches accompany the student during working hours to ensure success.
- Free training will be provided to current staff, or Peer Mentors, to teach techniques to support students and help them master tasks.
- Via covers and provides each individual work site with certification of liability insurance.
How Will the Via Student Work Experience Benefit My Company?
- Via Career Coaches provide onsite guidance to ensure quality work and provide ongoing support.
- Potential ready-for-hire qualified and trained staff at the end of each 9-week session.
- Your employees can gain supervisory experience through the Peer Mentor role.
- Development of new projects with student assistance.
- Improved community outreach and public relations.
- Professional development for staff at no cost to employer.
- Temporary help for seasonal or special projects.
Help Student Experience Work. Earn a Wage. Plan for the Future.
Via Student Work Experience uses evidence-based supported employment strategies and an array of educational supports including: counseling, skills acquisition centered on job seeking and retention, problem solving, and methods to help students function in a work setting. Follow-up supports available for employers.
For more information or to apply, contact:
Cortney Lakis, Via Student Work Experience Manager
C.Lakis@ViaNet.org | 484-893-5392