Employment Services - School-to-Work Transition Services
Via works with students in partnership with school districts across the greater Lehigh Valley and beyond to create a personalized plan for young adults preparing for the next step after high school - employment. Students explore careers of interest with expert guidance from Via staff.
Our experienced team develops sites within local business, industry and non-profit settings, offering students work based learning experiences or job trials. Job trials allow each student to gain valuable work skills and knowledge developed throughout each experience.
Who - is this for?
What - does Via offer?
- Career Planning & Exploration
- Work Based Learning Experiences or Job Trials at sites that meet student’s interests and goals
- Resume building, interview preparation and portfolio development
- Expert Guidance
- Individualized process working one on one with students.
- Application assistance for students to access benefits through Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR).
- Resource for understating and accessing funding sources for other services like housing, community supports, etc.
- Continued support after graduation
- Resource & Team Development
- Collaboration with high school transition teams and part of the Individual Education Plan (IEP) Team.
- Development of support networks within your community.
When - should we start?
- As early as age 14.
- Through age 21 encouraging students and families to begin the OVR application process at least 1 year before intended graduation.
Where - does Via work?
- Lehigh, Northampton, Carbon, Monroe, Pike, and Berks counties.
Why - should my student for this?
- Helps students define their goals for employment, education, community inclusion and more.
- Fosters learning and work skills development while helping students improve self-esteem.
- Supports students in becoming valued members of their employed community and establishes connections while still in high school.
- Offers expert guidance for families to navigate a complex post-graduation support system.
How - do we get started and what is the process?
- Student is referred by the school district, OVR, Intermediate Unit or by a parent/guardian
- Getting to Know You meeting is a held with student and family for explanation of services and expectations.
- Review of Customized Services:
- To meet the individual needs of each student
- Meet the student where they are now
- Evolve as interests, goals and needs change through these experiences
- Intake meeting is held with the student’s team, paperwork is completed and student’s information is processed through the Via Admissions Committee which meets weekly. This referral process timing varies depending on the availability of the team to meet for an informational meeting and/or an intake.
- Student begins working with Via STEP Career Coach to:
- Discover Personal Genius
- What we like to do and can do well
- Discover hidden qualities, knowledge and talents
- Create Experiences
- Employment opportunities
- Job Try Activities - to see if it is the right fit.
- Informational Interviews
- Meeting with professionals to gain insight in to career
- Career Exploration
- Job Coaching to Ensure Success
For more information, contact:
Vicki Henshaw , Director of Employment Services
V.Henshaw@ViaNet.org | 610-317-8000 x472